Zhangjiajie National Forest Park Facts
The Zhangjiajie National Forest Park is 35 kilometers away from Zhangjiajie City center. It is one of several national parks within the world famous Wulingyuan Scenic and Historic Interest Area in Zhangjiajie City in northern Hunan Province in China.
130 square kilometers
Zhangjiajie National Forest Part is at an elevation of 420m – 1,334m.
Zhangjiajie Hehua Airport
The highest mountain in Zhangjiajie National Forest Park is Doupeng Mountain, which is at an elevation of 1,890m.
Famous Scenic Areas
Golden Whip Stream Scenic Area, Yellow Stone Village Scenic Area, Yaozi Village Scenic Area, Piapa Stream Scenic Area, Shadaogou Scenic Area, the Back Garden, and Chaotianguan Temple Scenic Area
The covering of forestry in Zhangjiajie National Forest Park is 98 percent. There are 517 species woody plants, which belong to 93 families. Among them 7 species are rare and under the state's protection, including the "living fossils" - ginkgo (maidenhair tree) and Chinese dove tree.
Animal and Birds
Zhangjijajie is known as a natural zoo. The park has 28 species of beast and 41 species of bird. There are 7 species of animals are under state’s protection, including the famous giant salamander.
Zhangjiajie National Forest Park has distinct four seasons with an annual average temperature of 12.8℃ and an annual average rainfall of 1228.5 mm. With the average annual sunshine 1440 hours, the hottest month in the park is in July with average temperature of about 27℃ and coldest month in January with average temperature of about 4.3℃.
The sandstone landform in Zhangjiajie National Forest Park is a unique topography and natural geographic features. Developed in the Devonian System (belongs to the Yuntaiguan Group and Huangjiadeng Group), the peaks concentrated in an area of 86 square kilometers. The most notable geographic features of the park are the pillar-like formations (more than 3,000) that are seen throughout the park. They are the result of many years of erosion. The individual feature includes mesa, tableland, wall peaks, peak clusters, peak forests, stone gates, natural bridges, valleys and narrow gorge etc.
* On November 24 of 1934, the Second Front Red Army and the Sixth Front Red Army liberated Dayong County. The Red Army established “Dayong County Revolutionary Committee”. Zhangjiajie was under controlled by the “Dayong County Revolutionary Committee”.
* In 1949, the government of Dayong County established Zhangjiajie Country. It was then repealed and was administrated by Banping Country.
* In 1958, the government of Dayong County established a forest farm in Zhangjiajie, and named the farm Zhangjiajie State-owned Forest Farm.
* On September 25, 1982, Zhangjiajie State-owned Forest Farm was recognized as China's first national forest park. The document of the State Council of China recorded “Hunnan Dayong Zhangjiajie National Forest Park”. The park’s name was initially identified by the official.* In 1989, Zhangjiajie City was approved (by the State Council of China) to establish Wulingyuan District. And Zhangjiajie National Forest Park was administrated by Wulingyuan District.
* In December of 1992, Zhangjiajie National Forest Park was officially recognized as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
* In 2001, Zhangjiajie National Forest Park was approved by the Ministry of Land and Resources as Zhangjiajie Sandstone Peak Forest National Geopark.
* In February of 2004, Zhangjiajie National Forest Park was listed as a UNESCO Global Geopark.
* In 2007, Zhangjiajie National Forest Park was list on the First Batch 5A-level Scenic Areas of China.
* In January 2010, one of the park's quartz-sandstone pillars, the 1,080-meter Southern Sky Column, had been officially renamed "Avatar Hallelujah Mountain" in honor of the eponymous film Avatar.