2014 Zhangjiajie Lantern Festival Carnival
On February 14, Zhangjiajie held a very wonderful lantern festival carnival. More than 300,000 locals and tourists took part in the carnival, and 3,000 performers from more than 100 groups for folk cultural and arts showed their interesting performances during the festival.
The Lantern Festival falls on the 15th day of the 1st lunar month, usually in February or March in the Gregorian calendar. As early as the Western Han Dynasty (206 BC-AD 25), it had become a festival with great significance in China.The Lantern Festival of 2014 falls on February 14, but actually the Zhangjiajie people started to celebrate the festival on January 28.
This day's important activity is watching lanterns. Throughout the Han Dynasty (206 BC-AD 220), Buddhism flourished in China. One emperor heard that Buddhist monks would watch sarira, or remains from the cremation of Buddha's body, and light lanterns to worship Buddha on the 15th day of the 1st lunar month, so he ordered to light lanterns in the imperial palace and temples to show respect to Buddha on this day. Later, the Buddhist rite developed into a grand festival among common people and its influence expanded from the Central Plains to the whole of China.
In the daytime of the Festival, performances such as a dragon lantern dance, a lion dance, a land boat dance, a yangge dance, walking on stilts and beating drums while dancing will be staged. On the night, except for magnificent lanterns, fireworks form a beautiful scene. Most families spare some fireworks from the Spring Festival and let them off in the Lantern Festival. Some local governments will even organize a fireworks party. On the night when the first full moon enters the New Year, people become really intoxicated by the imposing fireworks and bright moon in the sky.
- Yellow Stone Village Closed
- Direct Flight Links Zhangjiajie with Hanoi
- Zhangjiajie Glass Bridge Will Open To Visitors
- Zhangjiajia Wulingyuan Glass Bridge is Set to Open in May
- France 5 Shot A Documentary in Zhangjiajie
- Flight from Wuhan to Zhangjiajie Open
- Flight to Zhangjiajie from Guilin Goes into Operation
- Take Direct Flight to Zhangjiajie can Enjoy Tourism Preferential Policy
- Zhangjiajie Grand Canyon Glass Bridge will Complete in This Summer
- Zhangjiajie Listed in World's Top Ten "Quiet Beauty Forest"
- Zhangjiajie Huanglong Cave Scenic VIP Service was Officially Launched
- Top 8 China Cities for Spring Travel
- Huanglong Cave Spring Tour
- Top Ten Beautiful Scenery in Zhangjiajie
- Ink and Wash Zhangjiajie Art Exhibition
- Shanghai Top Ten Must Go Small Tourist Attractions
- China's Top 10 Major Tourist Attractions for Boudoir Honey
- China's Best Tourist Destinations Recommended in January, 2015
- First Winter Snow in Zhangjiajie
- China's Top Ten Most Beautiful Winter Tourist Destinations